Rip & Basil Day 1 8-16-2022

Today was the first session with Rip & Basil. The past couple days they have just been getting used to being around me and adjusting to the new way of life. I worked BASIL first on the table. He did very well for the first session of trained retrieve. I start off with just having him walk up and down the table. Then I put 2 of my fingers across his mouth so he gets used to having something in his mouth. He didn't fight me at all for several reps on it, so I then started to put a 2 inch bumper in his mouth. He did great on that as well. At this stage I am not telling him any command. All I am doing is praising him when the bumper is in his mouth so he gets comfortable with having the bumper in his mouth and being praised for it. We only did a couple reps with this and we ended it. RIP was next and he was the same way. He fought me a couple times at the beginning with not wanting my fingers in his mouth but he quickly learned what response I was looking for from him. He then let me put a 2 inch bumper in his mouth and he did great with that also. We only did a couple reps. The process for trained retrieve is the same for each dog so when I talk about being quiet and praising them, it is the same for both dogs. 

Comments