Nelli & Kayce Day 3 5-31-2022

AM: Worked Nelli and Kayce on heel and sit. Got them up on the table one at a time and started the trained retrieve process. First step is to put my hand in their mouth  until they relax and are holding my hand good, then give them the release command give, and do multiple repetitions with this. Both dogs did great. They each fought it at first until they realized what I wanted them to do and then they did great. Afterwards they got to run around the yard and play. 

PM: Nelli and Kayce got to play first this time before the workout. After an hour break from playtime I got them out one at a time and put them on the table. KAYCE did good with remembering the mornings session where he had to hold my hand in his mouth. After a few repetitions with this I started asking him to hold a 2 inch bumper in his mouth. I open his mouth with one hand and say fetch while simultaneously telling him fetch and putting the bumper in his mouth with the other hand. I keep one hand the bumper and tap his bottom jaw until he relaxes and has a good hold on it. The moment he has a good hold I tell him good boy and pet him and then tell him give. We did several repetitions and by the end he wasn't fighting having the bumper in his mouth. NELLI also remembered the mornings session. We did several repetitions with just my hand in her mouth before moving to the 2 inch bumper and doing the same process as I did with Kayce. Much like Kayce, she fought it at first but then relaxed and had a good hold. I tell her good girl and pet her once she relaxes and then tell her give. We did several repetitions like this before ending the workout. 

I should note that this method of trained retrieve, we only praise the dog when they have the bumper in their mouth. We don't praise them or pet them after we give the release command because we want to instill in them praise when they have the bumper in their mouth, as this will help with them learning the command hold. 

Comments