Nelli & Kayce Day 36 7-15-2022

PM: KAYCE was first and we did more retrieves but this time we started off on the place stand and I had him release from there to get the bumper and then get back on the stand while holding the bumper. He did great. We did several retreives like that before ending on heel, sit, stay using the clicker technique. NELLI was next and we started off doing retreives. I had her sit at heel and stay. She did great and didn't break until released. We did several retreives good and we ended with more heel, sit, stay. She is really adjusting great to the clicker and allowing me to get 15+ feet away and she not move. I'm not asking her to stay that long right now as I know she's not ready for that yet. Right now I'm only asking her to stay for like 15 seconds while I walk around, and then I go up to her and praise her before heeling her off. 

The clicker training technique is quite simple. A clicker is just a piece of plastic with a button on it that makes a "clicking" sound. When the dog gives you the response you want, you "mark" that by using the clicker and rewarding them with some form of praise or treat. I use the dog kibble as the reward and the dogs respond good to it. So when they are heeling beside me and I stop, I want them to sit, so when they do I "mark" that with the clicker and give them a treat. Same thing for when I'm asking them to stay. I'm telling them stay and then I use the clicker to mark that behavior. They quickly learn that the clicker noise means they are doing something good. 

Comments